Total Pageviews

Friday, May 15, 2015

Smackdown Reax - 5/14/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Smackdown.

Nice Wyatt promo. He really needs to make a statement at Payback after basically disappearing after the Taker feud.

I mostly liked the opening segment for focusing on Ambrose and Reigns. I'd be fine with the Corporate Kane character disappearing for a while. It's really run its course.

I like how the styles of Ambrose and Sheamus come together. They're both quite good.

This match is going pretty well. Sheamus and Ambrose can bring it.

Fine match ending. I'm assuming the other option was Ziggler interfering. Ambrose needed a win going into a WWE Title match, while they want to keep Sheamus strong.

Kane probably is pretty set financially. It's not like he doesn't have endeavors outside of wrestling.

Nice Authority segment. I hope this doesn't drag on too long. I'm ready for Kane to turn face and get his title match with Rollins. I personally want to see The Authority recruit Rusev to take him out, but I have a feeling we're in for Kane vs. Big Show this summer.

Rusev and Lana are heat magnets. I hope both sides remain strong after they presumably split soon.

I hope they don't do the "tape of John Cena saying 'I Quit'" ending. They teased doing it four years ago with Miz. I don't think it's been long enough to go to that well again.

I like Ryback. Maybe he could be paired with Lana when she turns face? Both sides need something to do.

I liked Seth's promo. I hope his title reign isn't just a transitional one.

I'm already pretty tired of Ryback vs. Wyatt. Less is probably more in the buildup to Sunday's match.

Rollins shouldn't need any help beating Ryback after Wyatt's attack.

This match is mostly good. They might be overdoing the interference.

Fine ending. They might still be working out what his new finisher should be. I hope he busts out the Curb Stomp at Payback.

I liked Naomi's promo. It's good to see her show some edge. The pairing with Tamina is going pretty well.

I love the heel version of The New Day. I hope they keep up the over-the-top goody-two-shoes stuff.

Nice win by Kidd. I expected the match to turn into an all-out brawl.

BASED BO DALLAS. I missed this goofball. Heat magnet, going back to his NXT days.

That was a fine match while it lasted. It's cool to see two former NXT Champions face off.

I liked Barrett's promo. I think the king gimmick fits him.

Rose plays the douchebag well. I like this new change of character. Will The Bunny ever return?

I'm glad Kane vs. Reigns just turned into a brawl. It's probably more entertaining that way.

I think the matches with Kane and Big Show are elevating Reigns as a main eventer. He's surviving with two former top champions in big brawls.

Good match overall. Props to both men. The right guy won going into the WWE Title match. I do think Kane's earned a match with Rollins at MITB. It would be fitting, since Kane got Rollins the win there last year. I'm a continuity mark if you can't tell.

That was a pretty cool ending. The Shield have arrived as main eventers. There's potential for Orton to sneak out with the title, but I think Rollins should hold it at least going into Summerslam.

More wrestling coming up.

3 comments:

  1. Payback predictions:
    - Hopefully Sandow and Axel beat The Ascension. A loss hurts them more than a win helps The Ascension
    - Naomi and Tamina win. I think they're just killing time until Paige returns. Then maybe we get Charlotte going for the Divas' Title?
    - Neville vs. BNB might be the toughest one to call, since WWE seems to want to protect both of them. Either way, I think they're both in the IC Title picture going forward.
    - Wyatt beats Ryback. I don't see any reason to not go that route. Hopefully the Family reunites.
    - The New Day retains.
    - Sheamus beats Ziggler. Or not. I don't see either of them doing anything significant either way, especially with another PPV in two weeks. I think they'll be facing off then in some fashion, possibly with Neville and BNB involved.
    - Cena retains. Lana turns face. Unless, of course, they want to drag that out yet another PPV. Uggghhhh...
    - Rollins retains with Kane involved. I suspect we'll get Rollins vs. Kane on the road to Summerslam. Rollins vs. Lesnar seems like the obvious route for Summerslam. They might include Reigns in that equation, too, in a WM31 rematch. It's probably too early to predict who leaves Summerslam with the title, since they could change their minds that very week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on Sandow/Axel to win. I would be surprised if newly formed tag team loses to a team that has been in a downward spiral.

    I also say Naomi and Tamina will win. As usual, I don't care much for the divas' matches, and I'm sure this match won't get much buzz.

    I also consider Neville/Barrett to be a very tough one to call. On one hand, Barrett just won King of the Ring, yet it seems WWE is high on Neville (which they would have to be for him to beat Cena). I will say Neville will win the rubber match, but I wish Barrett would actually win.

    One thing Neville will have to do in his tenure on the main roster is break out of the "Justin Gabriel" notion of a guy that has one big move and can wrestle well, but needs to be more of a character. Hopefully he can break out of that notion. Lord knows WWE is giving him the chance.

    I also say Wyatt will prevail. WWE constantly has Ryback win virtually every match, but he never gets any title shots. I see Wyatt prevailing here to give Ryback a rare loss.

    Same with the New Day. It's a typical case of the "team that just won the titles will rarely lose them in the rematch."

    I say Sheamus will prevail. This one is tough to call. One thing I'll say is WWE hasn't built Sheamus as strong as he typically has been built. He used to always be an uppercard guy that rarely ever lost. The question is where does WWE go from here with these two?

    Same with Cena. Three straight wins against a guy that had never lost via pinfall prior shows a lot, despite Cena having just the U.S. Title. Where does WWE go from here with Rusev?

    I say Rollins will also retain. I don't think Kane will get a title shot, though. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but the way he has been booked recently and throughout the past two years as someone that faces uppercard guys and loses 95 percent of the time really doesn't do him any favors or justice. I will say Rollins will feud with someone else.

    Solid predictions. We'll see what happens. Any surprise predictions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy the Divas matches (especially on NXT, Superstars, etc.), but I'm not a fan of the Bellas as characters. They're not all that exciting. I like Naomi's new character and Tamina's return, but NXT's division is much more interesting.

    Neville had that same problem in NXT. He's not a great character; that's for sure. I think he's fine for where he is on the card now. In fact, I'm surprised he's getting the push he's getting considering he isn't that good of a talker. It wouldn't surprise me if they're intentionally focusing on his athleticism because they know that's what he's best at.

    As for him coming close to beating Cena, some of that could have been Cena's call. I know Neville was highly touted when he was signed. WWE and Cena both likely want more new young names looking strong.

    Ryback takes a break from being Rusev's jobber to be Wyatt's tonight. I see no reason to do anything crazy here.

    I'm fine with the champions usually retaining in the rematch. It means more when someone finally topples the team that's won for months.

    I'm surprised Sheamus isn't looking as dominant as he used to. He should have steamrolled his way to the IC Title. Maybe with Bryan hurt, they had to change plans. I think both men will chase the IC Title after tonight. Ditto for Neville and BNB.

    I think Rusev pretty much has to go down the card after this, unless he goes for the IC Title. With a heel as WWE Champion, he can't really do much else as far as going higher. Lana's got to be turning face soon. Rusev vs. Kane could be in the works once the latter turns face.

    I think we do end up getting Kane vs. Rollins sometime between now and Summerslam. I think it fits in the pattern of Kane being used to work with people they want to be top stars. I think they're killing some time before Rollins vs. Lesnar at Summerslam.

    I think we could be in for a Wyatt Family reunion tonight. Also, Lana could cost Rusev his match on purpose. And maybe Paige returns?

    ReplyDelete