Total Pageviews

Monday, August 1, 2011

Raw thoughts- 8/1/11

WWE Champion John Cena and umm... WWE Champion (?) C.M. Punk met last week in the ring for the first time since the latter left the company at Money In The Bank. WWE COO Triple H will make a ruling on the situation tonight on Raw. Also, we'll declare a new #1 Contender to the Divas' Championship in a battle royal. All this and plenty more on Raw. Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens.

Pretty cool video to open the show.

For the record, I consider Cena the legitimate WWE Champion, but I like that they're playing off the fact that both of them are legitimate champions.

At this point, I don't think I'd try to make Punk purely babyface or heel. Let the audience control this one.

Punk grabbed the brass ring and shook things up. That took some serious guts, but it's paying off.

I think we could really be in the midst of a game-changing storyline here.

Punk's an absolute natural on the mic.

That's the Triple H we're used to... the guy who puts himself over the guy he's in the ring with.

Let's recap here:
Batista- left partially due to the new PG direction and it not being fun anymore (I'm paraphrasing here)
Foley- wasn't making good money as a commentator, and was yelled at a lot in the role.
Jericho- was probably going to take time off when his contract ended anyway, according to him.
Lesnar- left because of the brutal travel schedule, lack of privacy, and to try out in the NFL.

Interesting. They're both WWE Champions? WWE's website just lists Cena.

Great opening segment.

AJ and Kaitlyn on Raw. Always good.

Damn, I wanted Melina to win.

SAVE HER AJ!!!!

Well, the Chickbusters lasted longer than I expected (as the least-experienced girls on the roster).

If a match was going to be cut short or given commercials, it was going to be this one. They've got to make up space somewhere.

This is the most I think I've ever heard from Kelly.

Michael Cole with a twin's a scary thought.

I kind of pictured Alicia winning since she's on the Summerslam poster.

Wow, Beth Phoenix is scary strong.

WHOA, REALLY!? I thought for sure one of the Bellas would get that one somehow.

Heel Beth Phoenix works best in this situation. She's great as the strong, mean-spirited Glamazon. It's a natural role against the perky babyface.

Miz's commercial's pretty cool.

This match should be part of the path of pushing John Morrison back to where he was pre-injury. Maybe we get a Punk-Morrison feud in the future? They feuded over the ECW Title years back. It was pretty good, and both have grown a lot as performers since then.

Cool that they're pushing Miz's media appearances. WWE needs to try to be as big of a deal as they can be.

I liked Rey saying "Booyaka" when he did the senton, but I'm not entirely sure why.

I hate you, animated animal movies.

Awesome tag match.

I love the water bottle spot by Truth.

Nice Ultimate Broski sign.

Great Mark Henry/Sheamus package.

That answers my question of why Alex Riley didn't run out as part of Miz's beatdown earlier.

How do you get someone over as a face? Have them play off of Vickie Guerrero.

Dolph vs. A-Ri works for me.

I love the Cobra sleeve-thing too. Yes, it's available at WWEShop.com. Yes, it's similar to Mick Foley's "Socko". That shouldn't automatically make someone look down on it.

I think Ryder and Santino would make fun tag team champions.

On Superstars, they were the New Nexus. Now they're just Otunga and McGillicutty.

Someone finally got the memo to put Ryder on TV more.

Wait, I would figure that 7-Eleven wouldn't let someone hang out in there without wearing a shirt.

How soon until we get HHH vs. Punk?

I like the interviews with Cena and Punk about the WWE Title situation.

If Del Rio decided to cash in his briefcase tonight, who would he cash it in on? I'm guessing he could do so on either champion, but there'd still be the man he didn't face as champion as well.

I guess that match worked. Del Rio's kind of lost in the shuffle now that Punk's back.

Pretty nice chant for Kofi. He continues to climb closer to being a title contender.

Didn't expect to see Johnny Ace again, much less hear from him. Can we get a Kevin Dunn appearance next?

Nice references to Ace's career as a wrestler. Funny stuff.

Cool bit at the end with both men posing with their titles and their music playing.

Looks like that's a wrap for Raw. I'll be back tomorrow for NXT, and a news post will be up later.

No comments:

Post a Comment