Total Pageviews

Monday, August 22, 2011

Raw thoughts- 8/22/11

Last week, Alberto Del Rio was able to take out Rey Mysterio before being confronted by John Cena. How will the new WWE Champion be able to hang with a man who's been to the top of the mountain more times than any active WWE superstar? Also, the fallout continues from Kevin Nash's attack of C.M. Punk: will we get more clues to the mystery? All this and plenty more on Raw tonight. Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens!

Nice car as always.

Well, so much for a Del Rio promo starting the show.

That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the new champion. If Cena wins, all he does is beat an "average" wrestler. If he loses, what does that say about him to lose to someone he ranked so lowly? It's hard enough building stars as it is. They need to be treated as big deals when they are built.

Nice that Punk's kind of shaking things up in the main event scene.

Heheh, I liked the Tunney reference.

If Nash is able to give more credibility to these three guys with this angle, then I'm fine with it.

I keep crossing my fingers that we don't get a Pedigree-fest.

I'd be fine with a Triple Threat at NoC. I think we'll see Cena/Del Rio and Punk/Nash though.

If they play their cards right with Sheamus in the months to come, we could be seeing a breakout star.

This match will mean a good deal for Morrison's future. And Del Rio's for that matter.

That Asai moonsault.

If Morrison could get to that "next level" as a performer, he'd really be someone. I think a lot of it just comes with experience, though. I think he can get there in time.

This is pretty good.You can't "replace" Mysterio overnight, but Morrison's really been showing something lately.

Perfectly booked. Morrison gave the champ a heck of a run for his money, but in the end was outsmarted. The post-match angle was solid, too.

I think that's the first time they've had the Bellas look different.

Kind of an odd interview with the DOD. Not sure why Natalya's on Raw tonight, but they're not really concerned about the brand split sometimes.

Bad dance move, Eve. Bad.

A little more fierce than you'd expect from Eve and Kelly.

See, Nash shakes people's hands backstage. That's why he gets tickets.

I wonder what Vickie thinks of the DOD.

That one was a little too quick for my tastes, but there's likely to be more follow-up in the weeks to come.

Triple H and Nash... there's some real history there including a Hell in a Cell match.

Canada doesn't care much for Nash obviously.

I think Punk could cripple Nash if they really fought. The latter's had a litany of injuries over his decades in the business.

If they build this up well, Punk vs. Hunter would be huge.

I like where this is going.

Kofi and Bourne as champs I'd be perfectly fine with, if they had some good heel tag teams to face.

Speaking of tag teams, what's the latest on ROH's Kings of Wrestling? I remember seeing things about them possibly coming to WWE, but not much in the way of specifics.

Why would babyface announcers bury the performers? Stupid.

I wonder where Kofi and Bourne go from here? I guess they're still gaining experience while some of the other babyfaces get to be higher on the card.

King's reminding me of Don West's run as a heel on TNA's announce team. It's not quite Cole-on-NXT bad (which was so bad it was hilarious), but it's mystifying.

That's kind of cool I guess. I like these guys well enough and there wasn't much else to do in the feud with their opponents as champions.

I'm guessing that "what da hayle" sign was a reference to Booker T's Smackdown commentary.

Some great memories on that DVD.

I think Sheamus needs to look good on Friday for this feud to be somewhat even.

It's like they just have wrestlers backstage just waiting to party. Was that Aksana? I don't know how much to read into this, but I saw Titus O'Neil but not his two NXT opponents. Granted, it was a really brief segment so I could have missed them. And Young and Bateman are heels, so they probably wouldn't party with Kofi and Bourne. That could be it.

I sense a scheme afoot.

It's a good time for some Santino.

Oh, well, apparently not. Maybe Miz and Truth can face Kofi and Bourne?

There's a good portion of the audience who has no idea how the "what" chants got started.

Amazing Miz/Truth promo. The "You Suck" stuff was fun, too.

Ha, Triple H doesn't trust the Raw GM in charge I take it.

Thank goodness Punk stayed and got his way.

The bit with Cena's T-shirt was hilarious. 10 points to Gryffindor.

Great wrestling to start this one off. More evidence to debunk the mindless "Cena can't wrestle" theory.

God I hate this "easier to beat" crap. Expressing doubt is one thing, but that's just damaging to the superstars.

This has been solid, as always from these two.

I'm sure Hogan, Sting, and Flair can get a crowd this hot in 2011. Can't wait for their 30 minute plus technical masterpieces.

I like Punk signalling for Go To Sleep.

That was the right ending for the angles to continue. For the most part, WWE's been on the ball lately.

I wonder if the Raw GM will get a chance to chime in on the situation. He/she/it can't be pleased that decision-making power is in someone else's hands lately.

Great ending. Can't wait for next week.

That's all for Raw. I'll be back for NXT tomorrow and a news post will be up after midnight. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment