Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Superstars and Impact Wrestling thoughts- 8/18/11

Today, whenever WWE Superstars goes up, Zack Ryder will look to continue his internet dominance in a match with Drew McIntyre. Later on Impact Wrestling, Sting responds to the attack he received from Kurt Angle and Hulk Hogan last week. There will also be an 8-man X-Division gauntlet match to become #1 Contender, Beer Money putting the tag team titles on the line against Mexican America, and AJ Styles facing Rob Van Dam in a BFG Series match. All this and more today. Read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen!

Wade Barrett brings back the blazer. Cool I suppose. Maybe. It feels somewhat like a "step back" to when he wore it regularly.

I think Barrett should be getting closer to being a legitimate title contender. I wish he would have won it back with Nexus.

I like them giving the importance of WWE.com's Power 25 and Trent wanting to be on PPVs.

Pretty cool spot from the barricade.

Nice match. Trent got some spots in, but Barrett still looked good in the victory. He could have looked better with a more dominant win, but I suppose they didn't want to do harm to Baretta's credibility.

Brodus Clay: one man wrecking crew. I'm looking forward to seeing how far up the ladder he can go.

SHEEEEEEE! Brodus works pretty well in quick matches. He looks to be in better shape than he was on NXT. If that keeps up, I like his future.

I love that Cobra shirt.

New look for Primo. Not going to lie, I was expecting a squash when I heard his music.

Santino's hilarious, and a better wrestler than his gimmick requires.

They're being kind of innovative here. Nice.

Well, that kind of shoots down my Santino/Scotty Goldman teaming idea. Another dropped storyline.

A Santino/Ziggler feud would be pretty fun. He's earned it.

No sock?

Pretty cool video package. Quite possibly Evan Bourne's best promo ever.

San Die-Bro. I like it. If you haven't seen this week's Z! True Long Island Story, I really recommend it. The whole run's been entertaining.

They might as well pretend McIntyre's a completely new guy given how much they've dropped the ball on him since those title reigns.

If anyone could benefit from an appearance on Ryder's show, it'd be McIntyre.

Awesome Rough Ryder counter.

Drew could be on the way to being future endeavored if this is all they're going to do with him.

Time to see whatever Russo and co. have up their sleeves tonight.

To recap, earlier in the year Kurt Angle used Crimson as a threat to Immortal, and is now teaming with Immortal to take out Crimson.

After that Sting entrance and promo, I'm starting to think that this really IS supposed to be some kind of crazy parody of a wrestling show.

Naitch is showing up in front of the crowd this time. That's a nice improvement from that Brooklyn house show.

Jay Lethal should do voiceovers for Flair's promos.

Big Impact Wrestling taping next week, and they're building towards Sting vs. Hogan, so I see why they're going with that match.

Meanwhile, at the old folks' home...

Flair sounds like a bad Bill Cosby impersonation tonight.

Sting, Flair, Hogan, the Dudley Boys, and Scott Steiner all in a 20-minute timeframe. That would have been massive in 2001.

Well, I'd either crap on them for a long Steiner-Devon match or a stupid finish, so they got it out of the way.

Steiner and Joe need another promo off.

For the record, Derrick Bateman says that Zema Ion had that haircut first, so it's not a copying of WWE.

I liked Joe a lot better when he was softspoken and didn't talk as much. He worked well as "guy who just showed up and ran through people".

I don't think I've seen a gauntlet match like this before.

I haven't seen anything about Haskins officially signing with TNA if anyone's wondering.

Has introducing a lot of characters in a short timespan in brief matches ever worked?

Well, they like Haskins enough to put him over two TNA originals.

We've got a variety of looks here.

He looked like he was THIS close to screwing up that splash.

Jesus,what a clustermess.

I had a lot more reason to care about Kash after that. Great prick move.

Good heel promo by Aries and the follow-up with Haskins made sense.

Haha... phony retirement.

Mr. Anderson has ruptured eardrums? So he doesn't have to hear himself talk?

You have to expect the Dudley Men and RVD to be on the card in Philly given their history there. Maybe that Rocky cutout can come back, too.

Ok, I'll give TNA some credit here for acknowledging a storyline from years back.

It's like TNA's never content with their current roster. Someone's always got to be turned face or heel, returning, injured, etc..

Hardcore Country would work as a label for ODB I think.

I don't think you can flatten ODB.

Those lesbian undertones...

Since I haven't mentioned it yet tonight, Winter must be pretty horrible at noticing cameramen.

RVD vs. AJ Styles was a dream match for me in 2005.

"Oh no, not again" indeed. Old feuds never die, they just fade away.

"Oh my God" was appropriate for Tazz to say, since a storyline between RVD and Lynn sounds like it would be called by Joey Styles.

I picture Flair, Sting, and Hogan fighting over apple sauce and shuffleboard in a few years, leading to a Bengay-on-a-pole match.

WWWWWHHHHHHHHHYYYYY? Wait, I thought they were showing that confrontation this week.

The Wright Brothers "First on Fly" commercial  has been one of the most entertaining things on this episode.

Was that a real Crimson chant? I'm a bit surprised. Not a bad promo.

Respect's pretty important when you're fairly new in a company. Even when you've wrestled all over the world and have made a few Bucks in your Young career.

I don't really like Angle treating Crimson like a relative nobody. He's done pretty well in his somewhat brief TNA tenure.

Remember the last time Angle went up against an undefeated TNA original who was pushed as a big deal? He made him tap out in their first encounter.

Ok, enough insults. Crimson has a big opportunity in that match. His promo had pretty good fire as well.

Sarita still kind of creeps me out in that mask. I get kind of a Mileena vibe.

Wait, how did this get to be the main event?

Jarrett's great in his current role.

Umm guys, Roode's Canadian.

Interferences everywhere.

I liked that celebration. What led to it was convoluted, but the Jarretts being with Mexican America has potential to be entertaining.

That's all for Thursday's wrestling. I'll be back tomorrow for Smackdown, and a news post will be up at some point later tonight. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment