Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Superstars and Impact Wrestling thoughts- 8/25/11

Today on Superstars, Daniel Bryan crosses over to the Raw brand to face the sinister Scotman Drew McIntyre. Believe it or not, McIntyre used to be considered a future champion like Bryan could be when he cashes in Money In The Bank. Then, on Impact Wrestling, Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan call out Sting, Kurt Angle answers Crimson's challenge, and AJ Styles teams with Beer Money to face Scott Steiner, Abyss, and Gunner in a Fortune vs. Immortal Bound For Glory Series match. All this and more upcoming! Read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen.
This Smackdown vs. Raw match is the first step in turning Superstars into its own brand. I can hope right?

Sheamus on Superstars? And not in the main event? He should be a bigger deal than this.

I love Sheamus' music.

That wasn't as bad as Slater's normal promos. He still comes across like an enhancement talent with them and his music, though. I guess it fits the "Southern Rock Band" part better. If they hadn't already had him on TV for a while, I wouldn't have minded them trading Slater to FCW for Percy Watson. I think Watson's gimmick from NXT Season 2 would be interesting in a heel manner.

I thought Curt Hawkins was the party starter?

That dropkick move was pretty awesome.

Nice spots with Sheamus too.

I think Sheamus should look stronger than this. He had too much trouble with Slater; we're supposed to buy him as close to Henry's level.

Heck yeah, Brodus Clay. I've been looking forward to him murdering someone today (figuratively speaking of course).

Yeah, Pete Gibson doesn't exactly look credible compared to Clay.

If Clay was faster and more mobile, he'd be someone to really push. He's fine for running through people, but longer matches might be a problem (when he isn't facing off with strong workers who can cover for him such as Christian and Del Rio months back).

Clay's already a part of Smackdown. In fact, he was in a press release for next week's show.

Just move JTG to Smackdown already.

I wish this show was on TV and people watched it; they really push the up-and-comers and the storylines.

You wouldn't think losing your balance on the top ropes would make you crotch yourself (as opposed to say, falling forward). Obviously that's not as safe, though.

I wish they'd play up things like the bungee jumping in Gabriel's Smackdown videos. Being from South Africa isn't much a gimmick compared to being a thrillseeker. I think he could really get over in a role similar to the early-mid 2000s Hardy Boys.

That camera angle on the 450 was pretty awesome.

It's been a while since McIntyre was the Chosen One. He's on so infrequently that it's hard to see him as the big deal he used to be.

That trailer didn't have enough "Triple H beating people up" moments for me to want to see it.

McIntyre needs a breakout moment all right. Beating Bryan and feuding with him on Smackdown would be great.

"Mixed martial arts" should be a dirty phrase in WWE.

I actually thought of the Hart Dynasty when I heard Hart's song start in that commercial.

Wait, he's just the "Great White"? That's kind of goofy sounding without shark or something at the end.

David and Goliath metaphors aren't good for Bryan matches. His size is enough of a detriment as it is.

WWE needs more Drew McIntyre. I think all he needs is Creative behind him as a ruthless competitor.

That German suplex spot was sweet. Bryan can bring the fire as a match heats up.

McIntyre's superplex and cover were solid. Why is this guy not being pushed?

That ending was awesome! Things are looking up for D-Bry. He's still got an uphill battle for me to think of him as a World Champion, but he's impressing me and gaining my respect as a worker.

As for Impact Talking Wrestling, Angle's really shrunk lately (unless that title's huge).

That Immortal music might as well say "begin hating this show now".

I actually liked that intro, somewhat shockingly. They could do something big with Crimson, though this feels kind of early.

HD isn't kind to these Knockouts. A lot of it's how they dress, though.

No "Who's that walking backstage, Taz!?" "I don't know, Mike, but they're headed this way!"? I'm a bit surprised.

That Bellator commercial was pretty sick, and I don't even like MMA.

That ShopTNA commercial on the beach made me think of Summerslam.

TNA should get props for those UK ratings.

Even if they haven't lost confidence in Flair, I have.

I bet that'll go well later tonight.

Glad that cameraman happened to be there.

I like that Angelina's looking more like Winter now that they're together.

I hope Taz gets a bonus for that stupid pigeons line.

Angle vs. Crimson could theoretically co-headline BFG. I guess this is a possible trial run.

While I'm not crazy about the performers involved, the booking of ODB and Jackie is an interesting story.

Heels having problems with heels. Why do that if neither are turning face?

I'm thinking that's Sting walking around?

Sorensen's gimmick looks like a caricature.

Sorensen's not bad. I'm glad he's not just a guy doing a lot of flashy moves that barely matter.

Basic storytelling, in a good way. Younger guy shows heart, but the older heel steals the win. I, as a viewer, want to see Jesse get another chance at Kash.

6-man, falls count anywhere? Wow.

Pope vs. RVD deserves some advance hype.

Haha, Matt Hardy and Chyna in a TNA ad.

Not a bad promo by Gunner. The dynamic between RVD and Roode was cool, too. Face vs. Face matches can work in that way.

I'll excuse them going right to the match since they gave TV time to the X-Division and promoted the BFG Series.

Awesome submission by Van Dam. I think he gets too much criticism for his ringwork in 2011.

Sleeper hit in the making here. I wish we saw more of things like this and less of older wrestlers coasting on what they did years ago.

Didn't see that coming. Good match.

I was almost crossing my fingers, as I had a sneaking suspicion that Jerry Lynn was going to get involved and make it a reversed decision.

Hell yeah. Prick Joe is best Joe. No redeeming qualities; just out to hurt people.

Devon could surely have found a chair backstage?

The Direct commercials are pretty fun in a cheesy way.

Too many "bros" from Robbie. I'm not so sure I want to see them team. Facing off? Maybe.

I'd love to hear Steiner go through a drive-thru.

What did I just watch?

Not really sure if I care where the Traci-Bischoff's stuff going. Maybe her husband Kazarian will face off with his boss?

There's a reason Hogan and Flair wear sunglasses- it hides how old they look to a degree.

Kind of creepy facepaint from Sting.

I can't be the only one who laughed at Hogan's comments about running a wrestling company.

The hell? This is some weird combination of horrible and hilarious.

"I'm so crazy, I'm going to kick your ass so bad."

I did like Flair's remark about Sting respecting him too much, though.

But Hogan can't wrestle anymore! Didn't you see that interview he did!?

I picture the Styles-Daniels feud ending with a massive brohug. Tears and all.

Hmm. Maybe Daniels prevents Styles from getting into the finals?

Bobby Blockbuster? I like it.

The crowd loves Beer Money.

Clever putting that Direct ad backstage.

I think they've used every square inch of the Impact Wrestling Zone now.

Wait, why didn't he pin Storm?

Please call it the Bully Bomb now. He hasn't been Bubba since in at least 5 years.

They couldn't have been much more obvious setting up that table bump.

I think he should have used the chain on Steiner. Protect the younger guy who's been somewhat pushed in the recent past.

Bucky Larson looks like something from 10 years ago.

Haha, Playboy ad during Impact Wrestling.

I think I'd like this version of Mickie better if I hadn't seen her (very different) WWE persona.

Ok, that was actually kind of funny. I guess that was their "match"? It didn't elevate Young as a performer or anything, but it was good in a "turn your seriousness off for a bit" way.

I actually kind of assumed this would be set for next week in Huntsville.

This match should be a really big deal.

Angle coming up after that suplex to hit the spear was pretty cool.

If anything, he should pass out from the pain a la Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold.

The Angle Slam and Sky High spots were also awesome.

This was going well until Joe got involved. A screwy finish was pretty much a guarantee. I was thinking it's be Immortal but this could work as well.

And Angle's shade of gray darkens.

Fine ending I suppose. Could have felt bigger, though.

Traci must have a lot of back pain.

I kind of wish they would have stopped with the staredown, though the camerawork was pretty cool there.

That's all for analyzing Thursday's wrestling. I'll be back tomorrow for Smackdown. A news post will hopefully be up later tonight. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment