Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

NXT thoughts- 10/12/11

Just when you thought there couldn't be any more curveballs thrown into this season of NXT, one of the competitors gets suspended. How will the absence of Darren Young affect the continuation of the contest for redemption? Also today, the Usos look for revenge against Curt Hawkins and Tyler Reks. Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens.
Young's still in the intro package, at least.

Is Maxine's hair different from last week?

I like that they're tying this show into the main storylines.

I like this version of Bateman. Simultaneously evil and funny.

I'm glad that Maxine at least knows the concept of the show.

Titus and Percy play off of each other pretty well.

Uh-oh. "2 rookies" left on the show.

Seems like everyone's having fun here. A lot more natural than some of the stiffer promos we've heard from Titus in the past.

No way is it grosser than Mark Henry and Mae Young.

This sounds like a "we're getting closer to wrapping this season up" segment.

Yeah, I don't think that's the term, but it's a PG show.

Heheh, he called her "Max".

Vintage wrestling reference!

Not Texas' own Kaitlyn? AJ could have at least worn her cowboy hat from NXT Season 3.

"For a little while". She moves on relatively fast apparently.

Maxine pulls out some nice moves. She's just kind of "off" with some of them.

I'm not sure about the family history, but I know the part about criminology is true.

I like the character motivation from Maxine. There's really something in her as a character.

I think AJ might be on her way to doing more in WWE. Winning on NXT and Superstars now.

Nice promos from Reks and Hawkins. The whole show might as well be about people looking to become part of the main roster ("rookie" or not).

You'd think JR would be used to being fired by now.

Cool double-team from the Usos.

Sometimes you just want to see some straightforward wrestling, and this match is giving us that.

I'm really liking the Usos lately.

I think WWE's channel needs something like "Cribs".

Impressive work by Hawkins and Reks as well. I wonder if they've been teaming on house shows during the time they haven't been on "TV".

It'd be helpful if the Usos had their first names on their tights or something.

So much footage of veterans that people could be watching and taking notes from...

Fun tag match, especially the ending sequence. NXT and Superstars are becoming places for the kind of wrestling you don't sometimes get on the other shows.

Hahaha, yeah I'm sure thousands of people watch NXT and crash the site.

Percy's certainly athletic.

I hope the rookies do listen to Regal.

And here I was thinking we'd never hear the name Jacob Novak again.

I wonder if Regal's like this on commentary in FCW. Interesting to listen to.

I don't think Chris Jericho would agree with Regal's comments about copying people.

If they do cut Young from the competition, can they officially add Percy? I'm liking his work.

Bateman's impressing me more and more in the ring. He's working a very different style from the more high-energy stuff we saw in Season 4.

Another good match and another good show.

On to rankings. 5 is completely ready for the main roster, 4 is mostly on the way to being a solid superstar, 3 is kind of "at a crossroads" between the two sides, 2 is severely lacking, and 1 is downright horrible.

Since it wasn't made clear exactly what Young's status is, I'll skip over him until further notice.

Titus O'Neil- 4. Since O'Neil didn't wrestle this week, there wasn't much for me to go on. I did like what we saw and heard from him on this episode, however, so for now I'm keeping him in the general vicinity of a 4. He'll need to be that energetic and impressive when we next see him compete to keep at a somewhat high place, but for now he's able to "get by" on the grounds that there's not much to judge him on.

Derrick Bateman- 4. I think Bateman JUST made it into 4 territory this week. He's getting more and more comfortable as a heel both in the ring and on the mic. This week could very well have been his best in his new role. If he keeps this up, the competition's going to get pretty close. If we see more of him competing and doing good things, he'll likely make it into a more solid foundation as a 4.

If I had to eliminate someone this week, it would be: Assuming that Darren Young wasn't an option (I think it would make the most sense to cut the person who couldn't be there), I think I'd cut Titus O'Neil. It's close, and as time goes on it'll get even closer. For now I'm going on the judgment of "if I had to choose Titus or Bateman to make it to the next season, I think Bateman would do more with it". Bateman's shown some fire lately, and without Titus wrestling, this got kind of edged in his favor.

That's all for NXT this week. I'll be back tomorrow for Superstars and Impact Wrestling. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment