Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Query on Joey Mercury, Hogan interview, Questions on JR, Cena turning heel, where NXT's headed, Torrie Wilson, and the 6-sided ring, Diva reality show, another Tuesday Super Smackdown, Lawler at NYCC, Hardy at BFG video, TNA hires former WWE writer/ROH producer for new Indian series, Angle talks Olympics and more, Punk talks changing WWE, and an NHL player uses the GTS taunt

First up today, someone sent in a query about Joey Mercury's nationality. As far as I know, he's American (I can't find anything that suggests otherwise). He's currently a trainer in FCW for those wondering.

Hulk Hogan was interviewed on the Busted Open radio show. Here are some highlights (or lowlights depending on your view) And I thought Angle's comments were off-the-wall. I don't think Roode's as big of a deal as others or as his push would suggest, but I wouldn't be saying that as a TNA employee in a media appearance to promote an event with him co-headlining! His last match was in 2010, which is hardly a "long time ago". I like how he put over that his match with Sting isn't about the performance. Not exactly a good way to sell the show, but it's amusing in a "look what you got yourselves into, TNA" way. I share his ambivalence on Styles, but he's another "TNA favorite" that the company might benefit from pushing. I'm not so sure about Hardy being a big deal in the future given where his career is at present. After over a decade of bumps and all the legal problems, it's a bit surprising that he's still around. How much faith can they put into him, and how long can he hold up?

Anyway, enough schadenfreude, let's move on to my look at PWInsider.com's latest questions:
1. I can't believe I'm dignifying this with a response. He might have just been using the phrase in general and not trying to refer to anyone. He probably doesn't care a bit about it, and I don't really blame him. He's always had colorful expressions at the announce table. I don't think it's any kind of mental disorder.

After the break, I go into everyone's favorite topics: John Cena as a heel and WWE being PG, as well as the rest of the day's questions and news.

2. Not necessarily. They can still have the show's rating and content the same with Cena turning heel. I don't see the Attitude Era coming back anytime soon, or WWE changing their rating soon either.

3. It will end when they come up with something they want to replace it with I suppose. Now it's pretty much purgatory where they put people who aren't being used elsewhere. My guess is that they're (for whatever reason) not ready to do Season 6 with new rookies and Pros. It's relatively easy for them to just write it off while they focus on other things. I like the concept of the show as it is now (basically Superstars with storylines). There are plenty of people not being used much in WWE as it is. They deserve that time more than the FCW stars, who by definition aren't considered ready for the main roster. I'm actually not 100% sure if they can put FCW online, but if they wanted to they'd probably want to increase production values and the like. Between just throwing together some stuff to do before Smackdown and showing the "minor leagues" where things are even rougher than the NXT rookies, I can see why WWE chose what they did. No disrespect to the FCW performers, but if I'm WWE I want to showcase (to the extent that NXT is a showcase anyway) people who are more experienced on the main roster or more ready for it.

4. I know that when this year's Tough Enough was on, she was part of a show with Lilian Garcia, Candice Michelle, and Maria Menounos discussing it, but other than that, I don't think she does anything wrestling-related anymore.

5. Good to hear that they're not bringing it back. I don't miss it at all.

WWE is planning a reality show revolving around the Divas on a tour bus going from venue to venue. They want the fans to vote on what to name it. Interesting... not really crazy about that if it puts too much pressure and stress on the Divas in what would normally be a private time. And honestly, it would be rather disappointing if some of them ended up being less-than-friendly behind the scenes.

WWE will have another live Super Smackdown in November. I actually like it being on Fridays as I've mentioned before, but it does better ratings on Tuesdays. If only those Tuesday viewers would watch it regularly on Fridays!

Jerry "The King" Lawler will be at New York Comic Con this Sunday. He's a big fan.

TNA has a video promoting Jeff Hardy's appearance at Bound For Glory. My guess is that he'll help Bobby Roode beat Angle, but that's just an inkling.

TNA has hired former WWE Creative team member and ROH producer Dave Lagana to work on new series beyond Impact Wrestling and Xplosion. He will work with Jeff Jarrett and Dutch Mantel on the writing of a non-TNA-branded program in India sometime before the end of the year. Scouting talent for the promotion were former referee Rudy Charles and former wrestler Sonjay Dutt, and it's believed that former names from WWE,TNA,WCW, and/or ECW will be involved on the roster, as well as independent names and a number of local Indian wrestlers. Certainly a very intriguing concept for a potentially large wrestling market. As of now, there are no confirmed plans for it to air in the U.S..

Impact Wrestling did a 1.05 this week, going into what could very well be their biggest show ever. Males 18-49 watched in significantly lower numbers than last week, while surprisingly males 12-17 tuned in more than that week. Also of note was that there were no special attractions such as baseball playoffs to contend with this go-round. Overall, ratings and demographics have been unimpressive lately.

Kurt Angle discussed his training for next year's Olympics, as well as his legal issues and scary past with painkillers. I'm increasingly worried about him.

C.M. Punk talked about the perks he has in his new contract, as well as the changes he's pushing for behind-the-scenes. Excitebike! I'm so glad he stayed with the company and hope some of those changes come to pass. I agree that some of them are already happening. People being themselves is a huge one for me. Very good interview. He GETS it. His part begins 9:00 in.

Speaking of Punk, a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins copied his "Go To Sleep" taunt after a fight. That's cool I guess. If it was a Hogan taunt or something, I could understand him being fined over it.

That's all for Friday's news. More to come tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment