Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Superstars and Impact Wrestling thoughts- 10/20/11

It's Thursday again, so WWE Superstars is up. Today, Air Boom prepares for Sunday's Tag Team Title match by taking on Drew McIntyre and Michael McGillicutty. Later, on Impact Wrestling, Dixie Carter takes back control of TNA. Kurt Angle appears after successfully defending his World Title against Bobby Roode, Karen Jarrett reacts to Velvet Sky winning the Knockouts Title, and former Immortal teammates face off when Abyss goes up against Scott Steiner. All that and a lot more coming up. Read on for my thoughts on the shows oas they happen.
I'm fine with that main event. I'd like to see what kind of chemistry the "Mc" team has.

Kind of funny that only some people get their Twitter names shown. They must not like what Striker (and Jinder?) tweet about.

I like the DiBiase Posse idea.

How long would it have taken to do a little video showing that happening between Jinder and DiBiase?

I hope Ricardo hits Cena with a car to keep him down for 10 (a la Big Show a few months back).

Fine match so far.

What an absurd premise. Someone being friends with Michael Rapaport?

DiBiase's working better as a face than I'd have thought he would.

I wish they'd move Striker back to Smackdown commentary. He's good at talking up what the performers are doing.

And then he says that line about high risk maneuvers...

I liked this one. Both men look like they have potential.

Someone, somewhere, is ticked that they took the name from a different move of Jinder's arsenal (from his FCW days) and gave it to his new finisher.

Del Rio can get a pretty big boost in credibility if he beats Cena on Sunday. I say go for it.

This was taped on Sunday I believe, so it precedes Slater's suspension.

This is Raw vs. Smackdown if anyone cares.

Deadpool would be proud of Stanford.

I assume it's too early to pair Santino with the former Claudio Castagnoli. He might have a new name, but he's still "very European". And of course, Chris Hero could end up signing with the company and tagging with his old ROH buddy.

I have no clue who some of these Southern rock band references are.

I'm not sure if Slater's beard makes him more or less of a serious competitor.

Do they have cobras in Mexico?

Fun match. Superstars is good for those.

Neat doubleteams here. It's cool to see these every once in a while when they're not rapid-fire spots that end up meaningless.

I like the Air Boom armbands. WWE has those for sale, right?

Boure's got a pretty unique style about him.

McIntyre would have been a good fit in Alberto Del Rio's heel stable.

There's something about McIntyre. I think they could do good things with him if they find the right place to put him.

We don't get to see much of McGillicutty. I'm seeing some good things from him here and would like to see more.

That last minute or so was pretty cool. Nice sequence(s).

The only downside about this show as that we don't get to hear from the competitors. I'd like them to get a chance to show their personalities so it isn't just people competing.

On to Impact Wrestling. Deep breath.

It's Steve Borden!

What? Someone in wrestling wasn't using their real name!?

Hogan's not "pimpwalking". His knees are that bad.

The red and yellow do make him look younger.

ONE MORE MATCH! ONE MORE MATCH! ONE MORE MATCH! And Hogan would probably break something.

Yep, lots of talking here. I guess it's kind of necessary to move the stories along and "start over" to a degree after the big PPV.

Business is picking up. I'm interested in the Beer Money/Angle dynamic.

People interrupting people who interrupted people.

Storm's noticeably better on the mic than Roode.

I liked the last part of that big segment, once we got the older guys and non-wrestlers out of the way.

Bischoff should dye his hair to complete the nostalgia vibe. He's still a pretty good promo.

No helmets?

Haha, nice job breaking up the entrance.

Meh. Not bad. I think Tessmacher should have been the one getting the hot tag to clean house (unless she's still kind of rough around the edges). She's the one who needs to betting a chance to get over and show what she can do, since Tara's already got years of credibility built up.

Crazy shirt Hardy's got on.

I don't, Jeff! I remember at least one time in the pre-Spike TV days that Hardy overslept and missed a flight to Orlando, and TNA had to change who was on their card at the last minute.

Jeff Jarrett, Jeff Hardy, Al Snow, and D'Lo Brown in the ring together. That brings back some memories.

Here's the thing. This story's good; I'm just tired of the competitors.

Can Baseball Beard Man teach promos?

Robbie E and Rob Terry ended up together after all.

"Amishland". Weird promo. Other than Robbie's hair, I wasn't paying much attention until they mentioned the Jersey Shore crossover. That better get eyeballs on the product.

But... the banner ad said Abyss vs. Steiner.

Meh. Not bad. It's going to take a while for me to get out of the funk the last however many months of TNA have put me in.

If I cared enough, I'd draw a comparison between the Ship of Theseus philosophical concept and TNA.

Glad that they're making Velvet more personable instead of just someone who's attractive.

If that promo's reality-based, that's very good to hear.

Hahaha here come the killjoys.

Jesus, Karen's a convincing harpy.

Whoever Karen throws to is going to get instant heat.

Yeah, Madison's not going to get it done. She's already been beaten.

Velvet's pretty naive to fall for that one.

I was thinking Gail should have come in as a face given the sympathy she got for her treatment in WWE, but she can use that treatment as motivation to fuel her anger (and finally get a chance to compete for a title, since she didn't get that in her second WWE run). They'd be crazy not to bring up what went on there.

I wonder how many "unconnected" fans were like, "Wait, didn't I just see her on Raw a while back?"  That was a pretty quick turnaround.

Say what you will about his behind-the-scenes actions, Bischoff's a hell of a promo.

If Hogan takes out all of Immortal again... actually I won't be surprised.

Another Eric Bischoff in the world?

I hope Garrett's a wrestler. He'd be easy to get behind with this story.

I'm actually interested in this now. Not necessarily from a wrestling standpoint, but a storyline one for sure.

Roode gave some serious fire in that promo.

We're so in for a crazy heel turn, aren't we?

I think I could actually get behind a Storm title reign. I'm hoping for Angle vs. Roode vs. Storm at Turning Point.

I smell a screwjob or swerve.

No way. No way!

WHOA!

Wow. This is pretty surreal. I wasn't expecting him to win the title anytime soon.

Can they be co-champions!? Put them together and you've got a pretty credible main eventer.

So, yeah, didn't see that happening without some big cop-out at the end.

All in all, so far so good. This might surprise me and end up working well. It's worth a shot and I'll give it that chance.

That's it for Thurday's wrestling. I'll be back tomorrow for Smackdown and a news post will be up later. Thanks for reading, and congratulations to James Storm!

No comments:

Post a Comment