Total Pageviews

Friday, April 10, 2015

Smackdown Reax - 4/9/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Smackdown.

That opening segment was mostly good until they added Reigns and Big Show. I felt like before that the babyfaces were more or less underselling Sheamus by making fun of his look instead of focusing on the fact they totally got their asses kicked by this Irish badass.

As for adding Show, he's been part of the WWE since Bill Clinton was president. Let that sink in for a second. If someone started kindergarten when he debuted, they would be in college by now. I get they want to add Reigns to the mix to get more experience in big matches. I just wish they had another credible veteran who would work there, like Booker T. or DDP. Henry's hurt a lot and Kane's in a similar spot of "we've seen about enough of you".

I like the slow turn of New Day into heels. It's a shame the gimmick didn't work for them as babyfaces. Sadly, I think the message taken could easily be "positive portrayals of black people don't get over". We'll see.

Good tag team match. I'm glad we're seeing Cesaro and Kidd shine. I really expected them to drop the titles to the Usos at WM31, even with the injury.

I still don't like the "don't change the channel" line from Axel. It's like he's insecure that's what will happen when he's on the screen. Otherwise, I think he's doing a great job with this gimmick. I could see him and Heath Slater putting together something pretty fun as a team.

Neville's athleticism is really impressive. I don't know how far he can get without stellar mic skills, but he's on fire right out of the gate. I really hope he can at least be a big force at the U.S./IC Title level.

I'm torn. WWE did a segment where the Divas put over winning a shot at the Divas' Title, but it's just a backdrop for "Total Divas". A WWE reality show is a work about a work. Let that sink in for a second. Anyway, I'm really hoping Charlotte wins that battle royal. Tamina would be a fun surprise, too. But I think it will just be someone from "Total Divas". Uggghhhh....

Natalya vs. Alicia was fine. I might care about "Total Divas" if they added Carmella and Blue Pants so we could see Enzo and Big Cass.

BAH GAWD CAMERON THEY'VE GOT FAMILIES!!!! I thought she liked Alicia Fox?

I hope Bray Wyatt has something new and fresh coming up. He doesn't really have a lot to do now that he's lost to Taker.

Good promo from Wyatt. Wyatt putting Rowan on the shelf at Extreme Rules would get him some heat back. I don't know if WWE would go that route, though.

That match was OK to show us Bray can still win matches. The character's pretty much where it was right after the Family split, though. He needs something new to do. Some new followers would be great. I think you could pick up some people from NXT who aren't doing anything and turn them into mindless goons following Wyatt's orders. It'd be like Taker's Ministry of Darkness. I don't think they have to have the look of Rowan or Harper. They're a new wave of initiates. Some potential suggestions are Tye Dillinger, Baron Corbin, Bull Dempsey, Marcus Louis, Sawyer Fulton, Scott Dawson, Sylvester LeFort, and MAYBE Solomon Crowe (he could still get over in his current gimmick). Give them the Daniel Wyatt treatment look-wise and maybe make up new names for them to fit with the Family gimmick.

Nice post-match. I'm not crazy about them reuniting the Family as it was done originally. I'd like to see Harper at least get a chance to do good things on his own.

MizTV was OK, I guess. I feel like there's something missing from Mizdow as a face. He seems pretty generic. I'd like to see him do impersonations of Miz from earlier parts of his career. Chick Magnet Mizdow with that goofy hat would be hilarious.

I liked the main event, although I don't think Reigns and Show really added much to it. It was better than seeing them face one-on-one again, though!

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment