Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Cena hits milestone, so does Nikki, assorted press, Ziggler on new WWE deal, TNA-DA update, ROH name returning, former TNA Champion to GFW, Interview with Lethal, Stardust note, and Questions on reuniting The Authority, JBL/X-Pac in the HoF, Landel, and PWUSA

John Cena marked his 13th anniversary from debuting in WWE. They should have him rip off Taz's old T-shirts next.

Nikki Bella is now the second-longest reigning Divas' Champion ever, which to me means she can go ahead and lose it at Battleground or Summerslam to Charlotte. She's already had her shine.

USA Today looked at The Rock's surprise appearance at a WWE live event. I'm glad he's acknowledging his wrestling roots after so many years of focusing on Hollywood. I understand wanting to break away so he's not just "the wrestling guy who acts," but there were definitely cries of him "abandoning" the WWE fans.

Here's a piece looking at the career of Buddy Landel. I wonder if we'll ever see another Nature Boy. AJ Styles doesn't count.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

Dolph Ziggler discussed re-signing with WWE. It's not like he had much of a second option if he wanted to keep wrestling in the U.S..

Update: Ziggler later said he hasn't re-signed. Interesting. I do think him getting some time off to go do some other things would recharge his batteries and WWE Creative's.

TNA is continuing under the assumption they'll remain on Destination America through September, as there has been no official confirmation of the channel dropping Impact Wrestling. It's possible DA decides to wait until near the end of the deal with ROH in December before making a choice. TNA execs will be meeting with DA executives soon, and DA was present at the most recent tapings helping out on the production end of things. So, TNA shouldn't be assumed to be doomed just yet.

Alex Shelley will be working an ROH show in August as part of their working agreement with NJPW. Whether he'll end up back on TV remains to be seen. I was never a big Shelley fan as far as him being distinct from most of the other flippy X-Division guys. I doubt I'll care much about him in ROH, either.

Austin Aries is now taking bookings after the expiration of his TNA deal. As is the case with Magnus and James Storm, the company could still use him for future TV tapings if the two sides work something out. But it will be done one set of dates at a time. None of them are under obligation to work there if they find other dates with other companies.

The former Magnus is booked for upcoming GFW live events and their July 24 TV taping. Apparently his TNA contract expired rather than him asking for his release. Either way, I think he's a great pickup by the Jarretts. Now get some of the other recent TNA castoffs. They have experience and name value.

Jay Lethal talked about his future as ROH Champion. I missed him from his TNA days. I'm glad he's doing really well in ROH. I don't think they'd out two titles on him if they thought there was a chance of him going to WWE. He'd be great in NXT, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Seth Rollins was apparently banned from a festival in NYC, according to a sign. That's hilarious.

Stardust was not present at Raw this week. I imagine we'll see him when it's time to set up a Summerslam match with Stephen Amell. For now, it's probably good for him to be away for a few weeks following his father's passing.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. Brock's damn-near indestructible. I can't blame Seth for pooling all his resources, especially after barely escaping with the title at WM31 and the night after. I don't see anything boring about Brock destroying Kane and Mercury on his way to Seth. He's been gone a few months; kicking the asses of people who don't need to be protected is a good way to do that. I almost wish they'd change the name of WWE Creative just to stop the quotation marks thing. It still applies for "smart" marks who don't think things through, though.

2. If Taker's retiring, they could induct him and the former Acolyte in one fell swoop. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see JBL go in.

3. I'll just add drugs and injuries have curtailed way too many great careers.

4. Hopefully GFW will be more successful in that approach. I imagine neither JCP nor AWA wanted "their" guys to lose/look bad and that cost them.

5. I'd like to think it's more of a case of X-Pac turning his life around where Chyna hasn't than some kind of Kliq conspiracy. I think he'll go in, as will the New Age Outlaws.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment