Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 14, 2015

WWE Money in the Bank preview

Read on for how I'd book tonight's PPV.
As always, it's important to remember a couple of key components:
- Summerslam needs to be one of the biggest nights of the WWE calendar. If I'm in charge of booking WWE, I more or less see the calendar year as three "seasons" with Summerslam, Survivor Series, and WM as the big season finales where the most important stuff happens. Obviously there are still big plot points and title changes at other PPVs, but I think those three PPVs need to be the most important. Royal Rumble is more of the season premiere or what have you leading up to the next Mania. 

- It isn't always about who I, as a fan, want to win. Otherwise we probably wouldn't see Big Show at all. I don't mean to pick on him too much, as I don't despise the guy. I just think the character's really run its course. Pushing him is like spotlighting a nostalgia band. At some point that feeling wears off and you realize it's 2015.

- It's not about who I like more or think is more talented. In fact, sometimes it's the opposite. I think Ziggler is more well-rounded a performer than Ryback, but it made sense for Ryback to win the IC Title so guys like Ziggler and Neville could move up to the MITB match.

Kickoff:
- Normally the babyface should win to get the crowd into a good mood to start the show (or convince people still on the fence who are watching the pre-show to go ahead and buy). However, I think King Barrett needs a win. Barrett vs. Ryback for the IC Title (or even vs. Cena for the U.S. Title) makes sense for the future.

MITB:
- They absolutely need to have a segment with Stardust and Goldust either at MITB or on Raw (if not both) remembering their dad. No angles as far as someone interrupting or it starting another feud or something. Just them putting over what an impact he had on their lives. I think you can still have Cody be obsessed with beating Stephen Amell as a heel for Summerslam after having some time for him to reflect on his career. I think a loss to "Green Arrow" at Summerslam would be a good lead for him to drop the Stardust character. I like the idea of him being paired with Charlotte as a face in September or so. Imagine those two lineages together!

- Nikki beats Paige. I wouldn't mind if Brie helps distract Paige or something. With Naomi paired with Tamina and Nikki paired with Brie, it makes sense for Paige to bring Charlotte up from NXT to even things out. Charlotte taking the title from Nikki at Summerslam works for me. Having Nikki break AJ's title reign just to stick it to the former champ is a dumb idea in my book. They should be focusing on the talents they do have and making the most of them.

- The New Day retains because there's no reason for them to lose so soon. They're great. I'm fine with there being cheating involved to set up a rematch. I'm sure they'll work well together, and it's good to see PTP pushed as positive role models.

- Ryback beats Big Show clean. Big Show does the whole "lightning can't strike twice" thing and challenges Ryback again for Battleground. I was originally thinking of Show getting his foot under the rope to set up a rematch, but honestly there's no need to dilute Ryback's win like that. They should see what they've got in him.

- Owens and Cena have a war. Owens hits a low blow when the referee isn't looking and gets the win with the Pop-up Powerbomb. As much as I want Owens to win clean twice, I think this will help him more as a heel. Owens refuses to give Cena a third match. Following losing the NXT Championship to Balor on July 4, Owens is officially part of the main roster. I think Samoa Joe should stay in NXT a bit longer while they replenish their ranks with the likes of the former Uhaa Nation (and, if they play their cards right, Austin Aries). Hopefully we can do Owens vs. Joe at Summerslam. In the meantime, how about Owens vs. Cesaro since Cesaro doesn't have a partner at the moment? Owens vs. Ziggler down the line should be good, and once Zayn's 100%, he'll be a good opponent, too. As for Cena, I'm thinking Barrett should be his next PPV opponent. Cena vs. Sheamus at Summerslam could be pretty good.

- Ziggler wins the MITB briefcase, with the possibility of losing it to Owens or Rusev down the line. Wyatt costing Reigns so they can face off at Battleground is fine by me.

- Rollins retains over Ambrose. Ambrose and Orton vs. Rowan, Harper, and J&J Security is fine by me for Battleground. Rollins vs. Kane to bridge to Rollins vs. Lesnar (vs. Reigns?) at Summerslam makes sense, too. They've got to do that one eventually.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment