Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Superstars Reax - 6/19/15, new match for Slammiversary, potential WWE DVDs, more on Don West, TNA loses a TV partner, Interview with Nidia, Smackdown audience, more between NJPW and ROH, TNA departure, what happened after BITW, and Questions on former business competitors in the HoF, the Freebird rule, Foley in Cleveland, and the next NXT Champion

Superstars:
Bo's doing better than I expected in this match. He's still not a great wrestler by any means, and he's working with a very good hand in Cesaro, but I think he's improved.

That was a pretty cool ending. I hope Cesaro's not stuck as a singles guy for too long, but I'm sure he's capable.

Fun three-team match so far. WWE's tag team division's pretty solid right now other than Kidd and Jey being out.

That match really picked up at the end. Everyone worked hard. It's good to see the division repaired when it wasn't too long ago tag teams barely meant anything. I hope WWE keeps this direction up.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

Robbie E vs. Jessie Godderz is official for TNA Slammiversary. I hope both men have futures as singles competitors. I also hope TNA puts more than three matches on what is in theory their second-biggest show of the year.

WWE is gauging interest in DVDs on the Dudley Boyz, Shane McMahon, and the rivalry between Eric Bischoff and Vince McMahon. WWE working with the Dudleys and Bischoff again would be pretty cool. I don't know if Shane would make an appearance for his DVD. He's left the wrestling world behind.

Don West promoted GFW. I've missed this man. It's almost not TNA without him. As far as I know, this was just one-time thing. We'll see, though.

TNA's TV partner in Australia announced they will no longer be carrying TNA programming after Slammiversary. It's worth noting WWE has more TV partners for Superstars and NXT than TNA does for Impact. They are in more markets for Main Event, for what that's worth. I hope their other international deals are strong for their sake.

WWE.com caught up with Nidia from the first Tough Enough.

- I loved her work with Jamie Noble. One of my favorite angles ever.

- I can't say I'm surprised they didn't namedrop Josh Mathews given his post-WWE life.

Smackdown dropped to 2.47 million this past week. It was a pretty formulaic show. I had trouble getting through it after so much other wrestling in the week.

Several NJPW stars will be returning to ROH for their events during Summerslam weekend. Those two promotions have been working together quite a bit lately.

Gunner has indicated on Twitter he is no longer part of TNA. He later retweeted a promotion for ROH having The Addiction vs. Styles/Joe, so take that for what you will. He signed a multi-year contract for TNA in April 2014. I assume it was a matter of the company releasing him rather than him asking for it. I thought he had grown into being a solid mid-level performer in TNA who could have become the top champion before too much longer.  

As for Gunner's future, I don't know if he'd be picked up for ROH or NXT. He might be worth giving a tryout to, but I think there are other people either promotion would want first. I think GFW would be a good home for him if that gets off the ground as something serious.

After Best in the World went off the air, Jay Lethal put over Jay Briscoe and the ROH Championship really highly, putting them above working with Kurt Angle and Ric Flair. I wonder how TNA feels about Jay Lethal, Daniels, and Kazarian all being champions in the company that might be more or less replacing them in a few months.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. Bischoff would be a great addition. I think he's probably done trying to compete with WWE. I could see him doing wrestling projects as a producer, but not trying to "redo" WCW. Honestly, I don't know if he would have come to TNA without Hogan. Anyway, as for Crockett, WWE does do the Hall of Fame to get ratings and publicity, so I don't know if they'd induct him. They absolutely should, though. It's fine to have some people who aren't "names." In fact, I think they should do more of that as far as backstage names getting their due.

2. Also, The New Day helped out The Authority, so they got special privileges other teams might not get. Sometimes rules and logic get thrown out the window when they want to tell a certain story (although I think this one made sense as there's precedent for the Freebird rule).

3. While that would probably fit in with the Mankind character if done in a comedic way, this was done in a serious angle of coming back from a brutal injury. Imagine if they did something like that with Randy Orton after he was taken out by Seth Rollins to get an idea of why it was so hated.

Nothing to add to 4.

5. That's the perfect place to do the title switch, given Balor's history in Japan. Owens would then be free to work the main roster full-time. I'm curious to see what Samoa Joe does after that. They probably should keep him in NXT for the time being with Zayn and Itami out.

More wrestling tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment