Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 18, 2015

ROH and NXT Reax - 6/17/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's ROH and NXT.
ROH:

BJ Whitmer is already one of my favorite characters in ROH. It's tough to say whether I prefer him over The Addiction, since I've been seeing their work a lot longer.

This has been fun so far. I'm already pretty over the "check out all the cool moves I can do" style.

That was an effective ass-kicking for Colby. Wow.

I wonder if Steve Corino's coming back to the ring for ROH. He apparently has been working fairly regularly outside the company.

Not impressed with Alexander's bland babyface promo. I guess it's fine if he's just going to get his ass handed to him, but not if he's supposed to be someone to take seriously.

I liked Moose better when he was killing someone in a squash match.

I mostly liked that match. Cedric was a pretty bland indie guy (I guess I'm spoiled by NXT), and Moose isn't as interesting when he's just running through people. Maybe he kills Cedric, then Stokely.  That'd be a good story.

Wait, Moose is in the triple threat #1 Contender's match and they ended his streak on TV to a guy in a random tag match at the PPV? That's the kind of thing people would be all over WWE or TNA for.

Hopefully in the weeks/months to come, I'll be given more reason to care about some of these people. Why am I supposed to cheer (?) The Kingdom against The Bullet Club?

Everyone in the main event is clearly athletic and talented.

Pretty impressive match! Another thing people would hate if this was TNA would be the NJPW guys beating the hometown talent right before a PPV, but it doesn't look like the same rules apply to ROH. I'm understanding ROH is more just about going out and having athletic matches. That's kind of a new concept for me to get into after following wrestling for the stories for so long. I wonder how successful they can be on a big stage without storylines unrelated to the wrestling aspect.

That was a pretty good ending segment. ROH isn't just going to try to get over by knocking TNA, are they? That always struck me as kind of lame and a cheap pop.

NXT:
A lot has happened in the world of NXT since this show was taped. Joe being signed to an exclusive deal, Owens being on PPV, and, sadly, the passing of Dusty Rhodes.

Good opening promo, but that's what we've come to expect from Enzo and Big Cass.

This match has been kind of slow so far. The champions are growing on me a little, for what that's worth.

I think the opening match was a little long. It also made it really clear to me the Divas' division in NXT would be in trouble if the "Four Horsewomen" were all called up at once like some suggest. It wasn't a bad match, but I think both teams would benefit from working with some more experienced teams. Maybe use Los Matadores or The Meta-Powers to boost things?

Pretty good Samoa Joe promo. I definitely preferred this to when he used to just scream in TNA. It's really cool to see him working in NXT.

It's kind of crazy to see "Fergal Devitt" instead of Finn Balor. Balor's a much better name.

How small is the ring in ICW? Damn.

It will be interesting to see how they handle Balor's time in NJPW. Good stuff in the first week.

Charlotte's just got "it" in a way others don't. You can't make just anyone into a really good performer.

This was pretty much an exhibition for the former champ. She's ready. Cassie's definitely still green, BUT this was a fine developmental outing.

That was definitely a better promo from Dana Brooke than her previous outings. Pretty sure she was reading her lines off-camera, though.

I'm excited for Balor presumably being NXT Champion in a few weeks.

Pretty good match so far. Two pros bringing something different to WWE.

Sometimes grounding your opponent with a chinlock is more effective than trying to hit harder or do more big moves.

I'm fine with the two of them beating the hell out of each other causing a no-contest. They don't want either man to lose, and it sets up a rematch.

Owens knocking out two security guys was good, although I wish Regal would have come out and done something. I guess we're in for more next week.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment