Total Pageviews

Friday, June 12, 2015

Main Event and Smackdown Reax - 6/11/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Main Event and Smackdown.

Main Event:
I like the "reboot" of Adam Rose. I think it has some legs.

Fine opening match. Maybe this was a passing of the torch for Ryder to go down to NXT and job in Rose's place.

I missed Layla a lot. If they're not going to use her for anything meaningful on the main roster, she should go work with the top NXT Divas to get them further ready for the main roster. Layla vs. Becky and Layla vs. Sasha would be great on that front.

Fine Divas match. It's a shame Naomi and Tamina aren't doing more. I hope after MITB, they go back to tormenting Paige and she brings a certain other daughter of a WWE Hall of Famer to even the odds.

Fine Stardust promo. I think they can do something where Cody and Dustin pay tribute to their dad and still allow for his character to compete with "Green Arrow" at Summerslam.

Fun stuff with Fandango and Stardust. I enjoy both of them.

Kevin Owens is a great talent. I'm glad we're seeing such an influx of talented guys. There was definitely a stretch when WWE was signing a good deal of people who weren't that great. They also signed some pretty talented names, mind you, but not at the level of the HHH regime.

I love Heath Slater. ONE MAN BBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNDDD.

SQUAAAASSSSHHH. Good to show what a damn BEAST Kevin Owens can be. I'm hyped for his upcoming matches with Cena, Joe, and Balor.

Smackdown:
I think they're overdoing Ambrose as a PG crazy man. I'm glad he's getting a spot, but he's definitely been put in the more generic "WWE main eventer" mold as he's made his way up the card.

The main thing I don't like about Ambrose losing the physical title is it reduces it to more of a prop. I'd like to think the guy who had his body torn up in death matches and languished once FCW became NXT because no one knew what to do with him would care a lot more about possessing the championship.

I like Rollins having to prove himself to Kane. I think they could finally put the kibosh on The Authority in a few months, at least as regular on-screen characters. Have Kane turn face and have Mercury and Noble quit in disgust (although I'd like for them to still have a role in some fashion because they're so entertaining. Heath Slater can use them as security for the ONE MAN BAND, BABY!!!). Big Show can then leave because it's not best for business anymore or something.

Miz is a better wrestler than he gets credit for. He's not amazing, but he's got veteran wiles about him.

Pretty good ending sequence. I think I prefer escaping and countering finishers to kicking out of a bunch of them. It makes the move seem more devastating that people try so hard to get out of taking them.

I know a lot of fans will hate it, but I see Ambrose and Show feuding after MITB. It makes sense, anyway.

I loved crazy "Little Jimmy" Truth in 2011. I think they've probably gotten about all they can out of it now.

Fine match to keep Barrett as a threat. I miss the hell out of Zeb Colter. He needs to go recruiting some real Americans.

I think Alicia Fox has had a good run in WWE. She hasn't held five Divas' titles or anything, but she's been someone they can rely on to fulfill a role and have good matches.

I actually enjoy vengeful wounded Rusev more than if he was at 100%. It gives him that extra incentive to be absolutely pissed at how things have gone downhill since losing the U.S. Title.

I think I could never see a superkick again and be fine with it. It's overexposed as all hell. The Supermodel Kick is fine, but everyone does that move now.

I'm a fan of that cross-body finish. Really looking forward to Rollins vs. Ambrose. Rollins needs to show he can fight his own battles ahead of competing with BROCK. LESNAR. again.

Fun match to give Paige momentum going into Sunday.

Actually a pretty cool segment between Darren and Titus. I don't think they've actually acknowledged Young's sexuality in that way. They've done a ton of PR stuff, but I feel like a lot of that has been focused on "Fred Rosser, who competes in WWE as Darren Young." I don't want to dwell on this, but it's great to see them treat him as they would if he was straight. They're not ostracizing him, but they're also not pushing his character in a shallow attempt to pander to that crowd.

Pretty good six-man so far. Talk about a wild combination of superstars.

Pretty cool ending segment. I never thought I'd see Neville look like a legitimate contender for the WWE Title, but it's a new era. I think I could buy him as being that good in a year or so given the push he's gotten so far. It's not like they haven't had people cash in who didn't seem ready for the top spot before.

More wrestling coming up.

4 comments:

  1. MITB predictions:
    - Barrett. I usually predict a babyface win, but I'd like to think they care more about the king than that.
    - Nikki. I'm starting to think they do want her to try to beat AJ's record.
    - Ryback.
    - Some kind of crazy finish to Owens vs. Cena (Owens puts him through a table or something). The problem with Owens running over him two PPVs in a row is believing Owens can lose to Balor in a few weeks.
    - New Day. Not because they're more talented than PTP or anything, but because they're really over and there's no reason to stop their momentum.
    - Ziggler, who will later lose the briefcase to Rusev.
    - Rollins

    As far as potential surprises, I could see Samoa Joe and/or Finn Balor making an appearance for Owens' match. And maybe Paul Heyman making his return? Definitely not Brock. He's way too expensive to not advertise ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, apparently there are some rumors going around:
    - Reigns winning MITB and cashing in that night (which I would think would make him heel). I think that'd be really shortsighted. He doesn't need the briefcase to get into the title picture.
    - Bray Wyatt costing Reigns the win in the MITB match. This one I can believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also say Barrett will win. He's kind of in that Chris Jericho boat from 2008-2010'ish and also the Miz boat currently when they would still lose a lot of matches, but will still squeeze out a victory when it's important.

    I've said Bella will lose the past few pay-per-views and have been wrong, so I will say she'll win. Even though this match won't get much hype, and rightfully so.

    The Ryback/Big Show match should be interesting. If this were Kane facing Ryback, I would easily say Ryback would win. However, WWE is clearly STILL high on Big Show. I say with him just winning the title, Ryback will retain, but I'll say this won't be by pinfall. I say Show will win in some shady fashion.

    I say Cena will win. He is John Cena, after all. Owens will still be built strong, though.

    I don't think PTP has gotten enough traction, crowd reaction, or air time to prove that they'll take the titles. It pains me to say that, but logically, I think WWE will have New Day keep the titles.

    I will say Reigns will win. For a guy to roll through three opponents on WWE's flagship show and to have that much air time, that means a ton. It is just a shame that Wyatt has been booked so shabbily. Reigns competed TWO times prior to his match with Wyatt and yet still beat Wyatt. I think him and Sandow are arguably the two that are the most undervalued right now.

    I think with Rollins consistently talking about how he can and will win without help, it would build more credibility to his title reign. I say Rollins will win, but Ambrose should still be booked strong.

    Good predictions on your part. I'm hearing a lot of this Finn Balor. I agree he may debut. The only question would be in which segment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Owens is someone WWE is really high on. They've got to be careful with booking him here, as he's been damn-near unstoppable thus far (with some of his opponents being stretchered out in NXT).

    I have a feeling Ambrose and Wyatt are going to be put in positions to get Reigns back in the WWE Title picture. Summerslam could either see Reigns in the WWE Title match itself, or facing one of those two before moving up. Being second match from the top on the second-biggest show of the year isn't a bad place to be in for Ambrose or Wyatt, since everyone can't compete for the Title.

    I think we could see Balor make an appearance to set up his NXT Title match with Owens on 7/4, either in an interview segment backstage or staring Owens down after his match or something. I doubt they'd bring him up to the main roster yet, though. I see him as taking Owens' place as the top name in NXT with Owens becoming an official part of the main roster.

    NXT is in kind of a transitional phase right now with Owens being called up and two of their other top names being out injured. I don't suspect we'll see another male callup for at least several months as they replenish their ranks. The only person I think they'd consider would be former TNA and ROH Champion Samoa Joe, since he really doesn't need any more "development."

    ReplyDelete