Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Main Event Reax - 10/14/14, surprising WWE name cut, Jake Roberts update, matches added to HIAC, TNA stars working another W1 event, more NXT names for 2K15 DLC, Ascension update, NXT charity, Interview with Jazz, next big NXT special, Raw audience, and Questions on Tout, Ambrose vs. Cena, burials, choking, and charity

Main Event:
I loved the Miz TV segment, as goofy as it was. "Mizdow" has been consistently entertaining.

I liked Tyson's promo. He's been really underutilized for a while now.

Good match between Tyson and R-Truth. I wish more undercard matches had stories. That's one thing the Attitude Era did a better job of, I think.

Natalya splitting from Kidd could be nice if done right.

I liked Cesaro's promo well enough. I honestly think the swing is kind of a goofy move, but the crowd cheers for it and it is pretty impressive.

Cesaro vs. Gabriel was pretty good. I do hope Cesaro gets his momentum back, because he was positioned to really get a push after WM30.

I wasn't as crazy about that Lana/Rusev promo. I do want to see Rusev crush some people, though.

Nice match between Rusev and Big E. I hope both of them are successful in the company long-term.

Good ending to the show. Rusev still has momentum if they don't blow it.

WWE has chosen to not renew the contract of ring announcer Justin Roberts. He is no longer a part of WWE as a result. Roberts was really great at his role and always came across well in off-screen appearances. I'm definitely going to miss him, and I know I'm not alone in that sentiment.

Update: There were a lot of people in WWE surprised at the news of Roberts being released after Raw. He was well-liked behind-the-scenes and it's possible his release wasn't official until after he had worked the Raw taping. There's definitely something worth investigating here given how sudden the release was.

Jake Roberts gave an update on his health after Raw. He looked good there. I hope he continues to improve.

Added to the October 26 Hell in a Cell PPV:
- Big Show vs. Rusev
- Loser is the winner's "bitch" for a month: Nikki Bella vs. Brie Bella
- WWE United States Championship: Sheamus vs. The Miz

That's a pretty disparaging stipulation for Nikki vs. Brie. I wonder what WWE's female audience thinks of it. Either way, I'm hoping it leads to a blowoff match at Survivor Series. I definitely don't want to see it continue past then. I don't really want to see it continue past HIAC, but there's a lot of heat to it.

The Great Sanada, Matt Hardy, and all three Bro-Mans will be representing TNA at a Wrestle-1 event November 1. The former Alberto Del Rio will also be on the card for The Great Muta's 30th anniversary. I'm glad those names are getting work with TNA's less-than-ideal schedule.

2K has announced a lot of DLC for WWE 2K15, including more NXT names added to the mix. I'm glad to see those names make their video game debuts! Hopefully they all become successful as game characters and as wrestlers.

WWE is expected to bring former NXT Tag Team Champions The Ascension to the main roster soon, as they're already slated for WWE toy lines. I'm excited. They could be a great act if presented correctly.

A number of NXT talents and personnel will be doing a plane pull to support the Special Olympics. Glad to hear it.

Former WWE and ECW talent Jazz talked about her release from WWE and more. Yet another talent the higher-ups couldn't properly utilize. Backstage politics in WWE can be a nightmare.

The next NXT Takeover special will be Thursday, December 11. I'm already hyped. Could that be when we see the NXT debut of the former Kevin Steen?

Raw dropped to 3.75 million Monday night. That's the third-lowest mark of the past year, despite featuring Ambrose vs. Cena in a match that was going to be on PPV, and Big Show vs. Rusev. There are probably a number of reasons why viewership isn't what it used to be. If I'm NBC Universal, I'm trying to find out what those are.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. I think Vine beat it out. I liked it as a platform. We thought the promotion for Tout was intense. Then came the promotion for the WWE Network.

2. WWE definitely needs to use Cena and stars in his position in a wiser way to elevate people like Ambrose, Rollins, etc.

3. Cena beating Ambrose in a hard-fought match or Ambrose getting screwed out of the win aren't burials. Cena beating Ambrose decisively and dropping a bunch of chairs on him or something would be damaging to Ambrose, though. The term "burial" is generally supposed to mean Management is actively putting someone's career in the grave, but the meaning has kind of transformed in popular usage.

4. Needless to say the Chris Benoit incident was negatively transformative for WWE in many ways.

5. I was under the impression they were giving that much to Susan G. Komen, who then uses a fraction of that for research. Either way, it does make sense for WWE to at least make their money back from the costs of making the shirts, marketing them, distributing them, etc. The talents whose shirts they are should also get royalties from the deal. I do think any amount given to charity is a good thing, but I wonder how much really goes to people who need it in that setup.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment