Total Pageviews

Friday, October 31, 2014

GFW update, Interviews with Rock/AJ, promoter passes away, Impact audience, another Lesnar appearance, more WWE scholarships, Network-UK updates, and Questions on Gail Kim, Divas in a Cell, Team Authority, Cena vs. Orton, and a free month of the Network

In November, GFW is expected to announce talents signed, venues for live events, and more international PPVs to be distributed. It looks like things might finally be coming together for them to produce something concrete. I'm interested to see what form it takes. It's easy to see it as competing with TNA as it seems to decline, but I think in many ways it should be examined as its own entity going in its own direction.

The Rock talked about coming back to wrestling in 2011 and more. That's a really good piece overall. Very interesting.

AJ Lee talked about Paige, Batman, and more. I'm glad she and Paige are going so far.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

Former wrestler and promoter Bob Geigel has passed away at age 90. That was another good history lesson.

Going up against Game 7 of the World Series, Impact Wrestling drew 911,000 viewers. That's a damn shame for a show featuring Lashley vs. Roode with Angle as the referee, the Hardys in tag team action, etc..

Paul Heyman's client Brock Lesnar is set for the December 29 Raw taping. I'm not really excited for another round of Cena vs. Brock, but I think I can live with it.

Paul Burchill and a former developmental talent have also gotten WWE scholarships. That's pretty cool. I really wish we got more from Burchill. He was incredible.

WWE Network is coming to the UK via computers and smartphones on 11/3, and to additional streaming devices like game systems on 11/18. Everyone will have it by the time of Survivor Series!

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. Wow. Another talented veteran gone (for now). I can't say I blame her given TNA's uncertain future.

2. I can't say I'm surprised. WWE doesn't usually go for that with the Divas.

3. I have to say, I'd be a little surprised to see them join the team without Triple H competing as well. It would make sense, and I'd actually be OK with the two of them coming back to be fodder for the likes of Ambrose and Orton, but this situation seems tailor-made to set up Cena vs. HHH for TLC. Cena's going to need something to do before facing Brock at the Rumble, and he's already faced Rollins a good deal.

4. Honestly, the idea of the loser of the pole match getting a chance to compete for the WWE Title is a pretty valid criticism. Ambrose vs. Rollins headlined the PPV, but I still expect to see the likes of Cena, Orton, and Lesnar as top guys going forward. As for merchandising, WWE is an entertainment business first and foremost. Vince isn't there to just put on a great straight-up wrestling product because he loves the business and wants to please all the wrestling fans out there. He's there to get ad money and sell T-shirts and all that. I'm not saying I agree with his philosophies, but that's more of how he sees it.

5. Another fair point. WWE is DESPERATE for Network subscriptions, though, so they're doing what they can to increase revenue.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment