Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 18, 2014

TNA roster correction, study looks at why fans watch WWE, Interviews with Kane/Y2J/RVD/Simmons/Shields/Fandango, Justin Roberts' replacement, new NXT interviewer, Punk reappears, WWE tag team back on TV soon?, NXT surgery, Brock appearance set, talk of more NXT specials, and Questions on Maggle, upcoming episodes of Impact, Enzo/Big Cass, Charlotte, and Eugene

TNA has added Rockstar Spud back to their online roster. There was confusion over whether he was still under contract after the EC3 firing angle, but he apparently at least is for the time being. I think he can get a solid following as a face.

A study from the University of Kansas looked at why WWE fans watch. I definitely think some things need to be shaken up. New storylines and characters are part of what makes NXT so refreshing. Seeing a former WWE/WCW/ECW name go to TNA and do pretty much the same thing they did fifteen years ago is part of what has kept TNA stagnant, I think. Overall, I'm glad a formal study was done.

Kane talked about changing up his character, emerging talents, and more. How do these people find wrestlers' personal addresses? Anyway, it was a good read from someone who's been around the block in WWE. I'm really curious to see what he does in the years to come as both a character and a person.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.
Chris Jericho talked about his most recent run in WWE, where he goes from here, and more. Jericho's at the point in his career where he doesn't need wrestling for an income, so I'm glad he has the philosophy of only working when he can deliver on the big stage. As hard as it is to argue with Nash's "ATM" quote, I wish more people had that mindset. As far as Ambrose goes, he's definitely money. I want to see WWE go even further with the "youth movement" of Ambrose, Rollins, Cesaro, Bryan, Ziggler, Wyatt, etc.. There's still a place for the Cenas and Ortons, and even the Kanes and Big Shows, but it's all in how those acts are used.

WWE is considering Total Divas alumna JoJo as a ring announcer for the main roster. I guess they're scrambling for a return on their investment there. I'm hesitant on if she's ready for that role.

NXT has a new backstage interviewer named Dasha Kuret. I've lost track of how many backstage interviewers WWE has gone through in developmental. I hope she's a success, though.

C.M. Punk made an appearance on Colt Cabana's podcast, but didn't have anything to say to WWE fans. I think for the time being at least, he's content with being completely separated from his life as a wrestler.

Ryback is close to being medically cleared, so RybAxel could be returning to TV in the next month. I think both men have potential, but are still finding their ways on the main roster.

NXT's Mojo Rawley is legitimately undergoing shoulder surgery. He was kind of spinning his tires, so a break from TV might be what his career needs.

WWE is advertising the Slammy Awards for December 8, featuring Brock Lesnar. WWE's really in a lull in some ways if Brock's not going to be on TV much until the Rumble. The Slammy Awards could be a good place for some cameos and teasing things for WM31, so I look forward to it for that reason.

Rob Van Dam talked about how WWE differs from his earlier runs in the company. That was a pretty fascinating perspective. WWE's definitely moving into a different era from when RVD was there after ECW folded.

There's talk of doing a big NXT Takeover special in March 2015, which could mean it would be the weekend of WM31. I'm split on whether that's the route they should take, because they could really get overshadowed by the hype of what's going on on the main roster.

Ron Simmons talked about his history in the business and more. It's a real shame some people are going to write Bill Watts' career off because of the comments that got him in trouble. There's so much more to him than that (admittedly extremely politically incorrect) rant.

Brian Shields talked about his "30 Years of WrestleMania" book. It's amazing to think there was a significant chunk of WWE history before the first WM.

Fandango talked in the UK. He's another guy I wish WWE had done more with. They still can!

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. It's a reference to how JBL pronounces "Michael" in his Texas accent. JR goes through something pretty similar with his dialect.

2. Currently TNA doesn't have any tapings until late January, so that's quite a bit of TV time to fill (even if it's just internationally). I wonder if they'd be able to turn some of their One Night Only PPVs into TV episodes if they don't have any new tapings. "Best Of" stuff will only last them so long.

3. I can't find a single match either of them have had before WWE developmental. I'm not even sure how WWE found them, but I'm glad they did.

Update: Cassady was trained in Johnny Rodz's school.

4. I think Charlotte can still benefit from spending time in NXT, but I agree she's one of the top talents down there. I'd normally say they should wait until January at least to give her more seasoning, but I'd much rather see her make a splash on the main roster than for the focus to be on "Total Divas" and AJ vs. Paige for the rest of 2014. As for Emma, she had quite a bit of screen time before stepping into the ring for WWE, and a feud to boot.

5. I'm also curious. I'd love for them to bring back Dr. Tom, but for whatever reason they won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment